Re: Fwd: [asa] The Swift-Boating of Judge Jones

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 23:31:12 EST

On 12/21/06, Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I don't have a whole lot of time here at the moment and I apologize for
> being so late replying. Busy time of year and I've been out of town a lot.
> I'll give it my best shot in my reply to your questions and comments here in
> the time I have. Hope this will suffice.
>
> At 02:21 PM 12/14/2006, Ted Davis wrote:
>

> @ This is my problem with the judge:May 22, 2006 - Judge Jones reveals his
> false beliefs (premise for his ruling) about the Anti-Establishment Clause
> in the Constitution:"The founders believed that true religion was not
> something handed down by a church or contained in a Bible, but was to be
> found through free, rational inquiry. They possessed a great confidence in
> an individual's ability to understand the world and its most fundamental
> laws through the exercise of his or her reason. This core set of beliefs led
> the founders, who constantly engaged and questioned things, to secure their
> idea of religious freedom by barring any alliance between church and state."
> ~U.S. District Judge John E. Jones in his May 2006 commencement address to
> 500 graduates at his alma mater, Dickinson College.

Jones's comments came from "The Founding Fathers and the Place of
Religion in America" by scholar Frank Lambert

See: http://press.princeton.edu/chapters/i7500.html

This excellent book's findings are mirrored in Waldman's "The Framers
and the Faithful: How modern evangelicals are ignoring their own
history."
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2006/0604.waldman.html

And a review in the Journal of Religion and Society:
http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2006/2006-r2.html

Seems that history, like the science of global warming, is giving some
Christians some problems.