Re: [asa] RE: Public questions for Denyse O'Leary

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 23:18:12 EST

What is this secular neoDarwinian paradigm? Isn't all science
'secular' really? And why should faith be interested in overthrowing
science?
Just because something is founded in a secular approach, does not mean
that it has no place in religious faith. Many religious people have
found it possible to reconcile their faith and this 'secular
neoDarwinian paradigm'.
Sure, such messages may resonate amongst some Christians who are
(mis)led to believe that there is somehow a necessary conflict between
(secular) science and Christianity but such a stance invariable comes
at a cost both to science and to religion.
I'd say that such a stance has already done significant damage to
religious faith and is fueling much of the recent atheist 'revivals.

On 12/21/06, James Mahaffy <mahaffy@dordt.edu> wrote:
>While I think ID would like to overthrow the secular neoDarwinain
paradigm, I sadly suspect they >will be more effective among the
Christian layity than the scientists. I am not sure either that ASA
>will or can be a united voice there, but it certainly provides
fellowship and support for evangelical >scientists and that is
important.