Re: [asa] RE: Public questions for Denyse O'Leary

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 22:14:11 EST

Denyse shows why ID is both scientifically vacuous and theologically
risky. If the problem is that Dawkins' et al are successful in their
arguments in favor of atheism, and the success is perceived to be
based on Darwinism, then the answer is not to show that Darwinism is
wrong but to show how Darwinism can be reconciled with Christian
faith.

Instead, ID seems to insist that since atheists (ab)use the science of
Darwinism that therefor Darwinism should be attacked, rather than
atheists who make this argument.
Of course, Darwinism is compatible with faith as long as both science
and faith keep to their proper realms.

The recent 'successes' of atheists seems largely explained by
evangelical extremists squandering good will by pandering to poorly
chosen issues. For instance, ID's insistence that Design can be
reliably detected has led to much confusion, failed lawsuits and
disappointed Christians who wonder what happened to the grandiose
claims of ID, claims which on closer scrutiny where found to be
scientifically vacuous.

It's poor science such as found in Denyse's writings which cause much
harm to science as well as religious faith.