Re: [asa] RE: Public questions for Denyse O'Leary

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 20:40:30 EST

*Atheists can get at the teens who learn their Darwinism from the school
system and you others can ... well, ... converse!*

And raise our children in the fear of the Lord. And minister in our local
churches. And serve in our communities. And do sound and sober
scholarship. And witness to our neighbors, friends and coworkers through
deeds and words. And when we need some refreshment, some stimulation, some
thoughtful people to bounce issues and ideas and doubts off of in a safe
forum, converse a bit more. Thank God for the conversation!

"Civilization is constituted by conversation" as Thomas Aquinas, one of my
great heroes of the faith, once said.

On 12/21/06, Denyse O'Leary <oleary@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> ASA is a "Forum for conversation."
>
> Ah yes. I see.
>
> My beef? Who can have a beef with a Forum for conversation?
>
> Now that that is all perfectly clear, I suppose there is little further
> need for me to wonder why ASA does nothing when atheists, promoting
> atheism as a logical outcome of Darwinism, make a direct play for teens.
>

> You don't need a battery of PR people, actually. Do you think that
> Dembski has a battery of PR people?
>
> But Ted, let's just let this be. To the extent that ASA is merely a
> Forum for conversation, of course it would not do anything.
>
> I can't imagine what led me to believe that ASA would do anything.
>
> By the way, just to clarify: I was not suggesting ASA should be the
> Discovery Institute (DI). The DI promotes ID.
>
> They're probably happy enough with this turn of events, as it shows how
> useless the current system is, from the perspective of most non-atheists
> and non-materialists. If I were advising them (I'm not), I would advise
> them to use this example and make the most of it.
>
> Atheists can get at the teens who learn their Darwinism from the school
> system and you others can ... well, ... converse!
>
> This is my last post on the subject. I am sure that you have better
> things to do, and the list is probably weary of it.
>
> Cheers, Denyse

David W. Opderbeck
Web:  http://www.davidopderbeck.com
Blog:  http://www.davidopderbeck.com/throughaglass.html