RE: [asa] RE: Public questions for Denyse O'Leary

From: Denyse O'Leary <oleary@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 18:18:11 EST

Ted, all this is fine and good, and I am actually well aware of it all.
I read the Time article & c. In general, I keep up with news.

But it doesn't explain why, when a big atheist road show fronts atheism
as the logical outcome of Darwinism, I actually see the ID guys rushing
in to do something about it - however ham-handed you may think them -
but ASA? Nada!

Like, I was expecting a PR in my box any time these last few days ...
six of them, maybe. Would have made a great column too, darn!

(My biggest worry SHOULD have been that the news editor would grab it,
forcing me to write about biblical archaeology or something instead.
Hazards of a hack's life.)

Nobody on this list mentioned the matter, even though a storm was raging
for days, until a list member (van Meurs, I think) linked to my own
comments, which themselves were delayed due to local issues (computer
problems).

Hey, do something, and I will very gladly cover it.

And yes, I did vaguely hear somewhere that Dembski was a member of ASA.

Does that mean I can assume that when HE deals with these issues, he is
speaking for ASA? (I bet not.)

Or does ASA want to say something about this stuff itself?

How about addressing Dawkins'

http://www.thegodmovie.com/

http://blasphemychallenge.com/

His only importance is his contributions to Darwinism specifically.
That's his marketing tool.

Oh, I have no doubt some can come up with reasons why these things
should merely be ignored.

Fine. How be then, I draw my conclusions and you draw yours? There is no
need for us to fight about this. I'm a news hack and I go where the news
is.

But I reserve the right to say in columns and blogs when I reasonably
think that a venerable organization just is not up to the challenge any
more. List members here can say what they please.

Cheers, Denyse