Re: [asa] Denyse O'Leary and Darwinism

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 13:39:00 EST

Some of her broader points in that post, however, are well taken. Atheists
tend to attack Christianity first and foremost rather than other theistic
religions, such as Islam or Judaism; this seems odd, as Christians by and
large would not deny an atheist's freedom to believe in atheism, while in
many countries subject to radical Islamicism, atheists are subject to
summary execution. She is also right that the contemporary atheist movement
tends to accept Darwinism as an all-embracing world view. What she doesn't
express, however, is the spiritual dimension of this dynamic. Isn't it like
the enemy to take twist everything against Christ and his church?

What I really want to know, though, is who the ASA "boffins" are.
Boffin<http://family.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/family.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=784>doesn't
seem to be the right word here. I think
patsy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patsy> or
shill<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill>is closer to the intended
meaning, though maybe
puffin <http://puffin.bird.audubon.org/puffins.html> was intended, in which
case some obscure point about common descent was being made that flew over
my head.

On 12/21/06, Sarah Berel-Harrop <sbh930@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I notice part of the essay centers on a "quote" from Douglas Futuyama's
> Evolutionary
> Biology (3rd Edition). I have the book. It never ceases to amaze me, the
> Discovery
> Institute's (and their supporters) standards. Basically, they excised
> words, phrases,
> and sentences, without ellipsis, and present it as a quote. And the first
> sentence is
> a paraphrase. It's just wrong, dishonest in my view. They have clearly
> picked up the
> book, because most of the "quote" comes from the book.

David W. Opderbeck
Web:  http://www.davidopderbeck.com
Blog:  http://www.davidopderbeck.com/throughaglass.html
MySpace (Music):  http://www.myspace.com/davidbecke