Re: [asa] Cobb County settles lawsuit

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Wed Dec 20 2006 - 22:40:44 EST

I have to accept David's analysis of the consequences of this decision.
However, it strikes me that the decision here and in Kitzmiller are
consequences of stupidity. In Kitzmiller, Judge Jones was asked to rule
broadly, with DI backing out and then trying to get back in. Also, the
Dover board was warned not to enact their action. With the decision
contrary to what the "Christians" desired, there is sniping at the judge.
I would not want to answer at the judgment seat of Christ for such
demeaning of a brother.

In Georgia, trying to apply the "theory"="guess" popular usage to
scientific theories is notably stupid and was costly to the district. The
legal remedy to such stupidity is to make sure that no fool in that
jurisdiction will repeat the idiocy. This, unfortunately, is not fool
proof because, as someone noted, the fools are so ingenious. But it is
extreme. The basis of several similar actions is the tacit insistence
that OUR fundamentalist interpretation of scripture is correct (excluding
a stationary earth on the one hand and an ancient earth on the other, for
example) and will be taught in the public schools. As Michael has noted,
this is possible in the British counterparts, but it will not pass muster
in the US courts.

I personally insist that the universe follows the design of an omniscient
and omnipotent Creator, and adore him. But I recognize that this is not a
scientific theory, but springs from religious and philosophical
commitments. If God is omnipresent and omnific, how do I scientifically
pin him down to a specific location or action?
Dave

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:43:43 -0500 "David Opderbeck"