Re: [asa] [off topic] Exposed e-mail addresses in web archives

From: James Mahaffy <Mahaffy@dordt.edu>
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 17:52:05 EST

They probably won't do it because it takes work, but anyone who knows
the software can join the list and harvest a list of all of the-mails.
There are however easier ways of getting addresses. Besides Christian
scientists are probably not in demand for a good spam list.

I am sure what is tried often is to spam the list by sending email to
the address of the list. However, that won't work since one has to have
joined the list and spammers don't usually bother. I get a fair amount
of spammers trying to send messages to the Christian geology list but
they usually fail.

If you want to keep your e-mail box free, I would use a throwaway
address like a hotmail or g-mail and use that address on all my lists.
I don't do that but I know a bunch of folks who do.

Between 12/18 and 12 11 I received 477 e-mail messages that our filter
labeled spam. I probably get about 10 a day that get by the filter.
However, I also have several web pages that have my e-mail address on.
But I think if you get on one slammer, they tend to share it. If you
like I could always pass you on to the Nigeria get rich by depositing
our millions in your bank account.

I would love to have Anthony's lack of spam.

--
James Mahaffy (mahaffy@dordt.edu)          Phone: 712 722-6279
498 4th Ave NE
<a6ec2570612180710x581c7fd6m42b2c9bf4f5b2d61@mail.gmail.com>, "Anthony
Perez-Miller" <elentirmo@andunie.net> wrote:
> Iain,
>
> Yes, that is reassuring.  Thank you.
>
> regards,
>
> --Anthony
>
> On 12/18/06, Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Anthony,
>>
>> The impression I get is that the ASA archive is not scanned by
spammers
>> for potential targets.  It is more usual for newsgroups and so forth
to get
>> spam.  I started getting spam after unwisely leaving my address on a
public
>> forum at Mathworks.com, which resulted in spam after just a few
days.
>> However, before that I'd been posting to ASA for quite a while and
had no
>> problems at all.
>>
>> Hope this is of some reassurance.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Iain
>>
>> On 12/18/06, Anthony Perez-Miller <elentirmo@andunie.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > It's probably bad form for the newbie to bring up tech questions,
but:

presumably
>> > at the ASA site; I haven't checked) display e-mail addresses in
plain text
>> > (take a look at the html source code).  Is there any way to fix
this so
> that
>> > we don't become spam magnets?  Too late for the rest of you,
probably, but
>> > I'd like to keep my heretofore pristine inbox in that
condition...