Re: [asa] Re: asa-digest V1 #6421

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 09:27:19 EST

I think Anthony makes some excellent points here. It's one thing to
acknowledge that global warming is a problem and that humans contribute to
it. It's another to leap from that to an unworkable treaty that will likely
do more harm than good given its economic costs and (to use a law and
economics term) the agency problems it entails. At present, it's unlikely
that Kyoto would do much more than transfer jobs and capital from the U.S.
to China, a gross polluter that will never comply with treaty standards,
without any net reduction in emissions. These economic costs would be
better applied to research and development on cleaner energy technologies.
This would not only help slow warming, but would also have positive
spillover effects as new technology, know-how, skills, jobs, and capital are
injected into the market.

--
David W. Opderbeck
Web:  http://www.davidopderbeck.com