Re: [asa] Re: asa-digest V1 #6421

From: Anthony Perez-Miller <elentirmo@andunie.net>
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 00:27:02 EST

I should perhaps have made this clear in my original post, but for what it's
worth, I'm not a climate change skeptic. Nor was I conflating the science
with Kyoto, but was rather commenting on oversimplifications in the original
scienceblogs posting.

Lomborg may not be right; I haven't studied the subject enough to make a
firm argument either way. I am however predisposed in favor of his
arguments regarding Kyoto, based on the empirical observation that the
probability of success in economic engineering scales inversely with
complexity. (The twentieth century gave evidence enough to consider that a
truism.) And not surprisingly, the Protocol is giving rise to a host of
unintended consequences, as the EU and (as mentioned in the last message)
New Zealand are discovering.

So what you describe as "political cowardice" I would call something else --
"prudence" perhaps, although that it is short supply among politicians.

Nor am I sure what to make of your comment regarding national sovereignty.
Outside of the UN, which treats the most despotic regime as equal to the
most representative of governments, it doesn't seem hard to define
legitimacy of sovereignty on a sliding scale, based on, oh, respect for
human rights maybe. Under such a scheme North Korea and Iran would have
less expectation of untrammeled sovereignty than Norway or Australia. A toy
model, of course, but sufficient to suggest that "irony" need have nothing
to do such judgements. A willingness to forego the fashionable moral
equivalence is however helpful.

Anyways. I did not intend to start a flame war with my first post. By way
of introduction: MS, physics, University of Rochester; presently a PhD
candidate in History and Philosophy of Science at Indiana University. My
dissertation concerns the structure of intelligent design arguments (I find
them wanting). Came from a hyper-fundamentalist upbringing, which I've long
since fled. More recently entered a love-hate relationship with Reformed
theology (these days more of the latter). Been aware of ASA for a decade
but finally decided to jump on board the mailing list last week. Likes
include---oh, never mind...

V/R

--Anthony