[asa] Re: asa-digest V1 #6421

From: Anthony Perez-Miller <elentirmo@andunie.net>
Date: Sun Dec 17 2006 - 18:26:09 EST

As might be expected, the generalizations in the scienceblogs quote
are a wee bit too general. First, the greening of the "Christian
Right" is well underway, if that term is taken to encompass
conservative Evangelicals as well as Fundamentalists (and granting
that the latter will likely remain unswayed by environmental debate).

And -- as is the case with most conspiracy theories -- there is an
element of truth to the paranoia. Consider the Kyoto Protocol, which
even if fully implemented would do little to slow climate change.
(Note that I'm taking Lomborg as an authority on that point, who
despite his unpopularity in certain circles is not a climate change
skeptic.) Kyoto's biggest effect seems rather to be an engine of
massive wealth transfer from the industrialized West to less developed
regions (and to industrially devolving nations such as Russia). In
some cases even those countries which expected to benefit have come to
rue signing on; just ask New Zealand how it's working out.

It doesn't take an alarmist to appreciate that treaties such as Kyoto
-do- lead to an erosion of national sovereignty, in the sense of
limiting states' freedom to act. One world government? No. But it
isn't just climate skeptics that find the Protocol dubious.

Perhaps that's why the Clinton-era Senate rejected it 99-0.

--Anthony

Anthony Perez-Miller
Dept of History & Philosophy of Science
Indiana University