Re: [asa] Definition of terms?

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat Dec 16 2006 - 22:00:06 EST

Allan, I forwarded your note to Joel Carpenter who has written some books on
religious history and is an expert on the history of evangelicals.Here's his
response:RandyI argue for something more like "B" in your discussion below.
"Evangelical" is
a rather generic term for a whole extended family of somewhat related
pietist
and revivalist movements that came into being to bring spiritual renewal
within
Protestant Christianity.

Evangelicalism really predates "liberal" vs. "conservative" debates, e.g.
over
the inspiration and authority of the Scriptures, whether traditional
Christian
doctrines and beliefs still obtain (e.g. atonement, miracles, trinity), and
whether traditional Christian morals still obtain. Back when evangelicalism
was born, in the days of Wesley and Whitefield in the English speaking world
and the Moravians, et. al., on the Euro continent, liberalism wasn't the
issue. The problems evangelicals addressed were formalism and nominalism
within state-church Protestantism. So the real soul of evangelicalism is
not
doctrinal or moral conservatism. It is the continuing concern that the
churches need to be revived, because their spirituality, devotion and zeal
are
flagging. "Revive Us Again!" and "Ye Must Be Born Again" are the banners of
the movement.

In the U.S. during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries,
however,
liberal vs. conservative fights among Protestant churches that had been
mostly
evangelical earlier, e.g. the Methodists, Baptists, and Presbyterians, had
as
part of their outcome a shift in the nomenclature that made "evangelical"
seem
more coterminous with "conservative."

Fundamentalism, according to George Marsden, who is the "meister" among
historians writing on the subject, is "militantly anti-modernist evangelical
Protestantism." All kinds of evangelicals might show some anti-modernist
tendencies, or willingness, on occasion, to flee mainstream society and
church
to hole up in sectarian bunkers, or to insist on certain doctrines that they
think are the mainstays of a resolutely orthodox and supernatural
Christianity.
 But fundamentalists make these matters central and definitive (E.g. not
just
the being "in the world but not of the world," but rather, "come ye out and
be
ye separate!" Not just upholding the Bible's inspiration and authority, but
the Bible's verbal, plenary inspiration, with a literal hermeneutic, and
inerrancy--the Bible being without error in all that it addresses or
asserts).
Fundamentalism also has some doctrines that are its specialty, such as
dispensationalism in salvation history and premillennialism in eschatology.
Some other evangelicals (e.g. many pentecostals) may hold some of these
views,
but not all, and usually do not see them to be prime measures of orthodoxy.

So in other words, evangelical is the broader tradition, and fundamentalism
is
one branch of that family tree. Stott was always an evangelical, of a
low-church, Anglican variety, but never a fundamentalist. Graham came from
fundamentalist roots and moderated his views, seeking a broader evangelical
fellowship.

Best wishes,
Joel----- Original Message -----