Re: [asa] The Swift-Boating of Judge Jones

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 13 2006 - 12:13:40 EST

Pim, this is a rare case in which I'm going to agree with you fully. I
noticed this argument surfacing on some conservative email lists and
blogs
yesterday. It is an absolutely silly argument. It is routine for trial
judges to request proposed findings of fact and conclusions of law from
parties, and equally routine for them to adopt a party's findings in
whole
or in part. I know this from 13 years of experience litigating in
federal
courts. I also know it because the U.S. Supreme Court has weighed in
on th=
practice: "*even when the trial judge adopts proposed findings
verbatim, th=
findings are those of the court and may be reversed only if clearly
erroneous*." Anderson v. City of Bessmer City, 105 S.Ct. 1504 (1985).

  The Third Circuit, the circuit in which Judge Jones sits, also
specificall=
recognizes that a trial court can adopt a party's proposed findings
verbatim. See Landsford-Coaldale Joint Water Authority v. Tonolli
Corp., 4
F.3d 1209, 1215 (1993)(stating, *"[w]e similarly reject the
[plaintiff's]
argument that the district court's verbatim adoption of many of [the
defendant's]proposed factual findings contravened the purposes of
Fed.R.Civ.P . 52(a) such that they do not warrant review under the
clearly
erroneous standard. This argument has been rejected by the Supreme
Court...."*)

As everyone here knows, I disagree with some aspects of Judge Jones'
opinion. The claim that Judge Jones "plagiarized," or is otherwise
somehow
culpable of some misconduct, as a result of adopting a party's proposed
findings, however, is false.

> It seems that the PandasThumb predicted correctly the new "talking
> points" of the Discovery Institute, after the MP3 of a Behe lecture
> was published in which accusations of 'plagiarism' were made.
> See http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2006/12/weekend_at_behe.html
>

> It is in this context ironic to note that PT also discovered a
> significant level of 'self plagiarism' by some DI authors.
> (http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2004/09/meyer_2004_and.html)
>
> The 'argument' is that more than 90% of the Judge's ruling is copied
> 'almost verbatim' from the ACLU's brief.
>
> Some interesting comments
>
> 1. Using the DI's concept of 'almost verbatim' one has to reach the
> inevitable conclusion that 100% of the human genome is almost verbatim
> found in chimpanzees.
> 2. The finding ignores that the Judge, while using the findings of
> fact, placed them in a coherent argument, while adding his own damning
> comments.
> 3. Legally speaking, the use of 'proposed findings of fact' is well
> established.
>
> So it seems that the DI is just annoyed how they messed up the
> Kitzmiller situation. Interestingly enough, the court record contains
> how amateurish the DI was in filing their amicus brief
>
> -----------begin quote------------
> KvD Transcripts wrote:
>
> [492]THE COURT: But I am distressed by the fact that there is an
> expert report attached to the amicus brief. You know, if I open the
> gate and I tell him I want an expert report, that's one thing. So I
> guess, you know, before we all start a plethora of filings, I'm
> telling you that to give it some thought, we can talk about it
> tomorrow, I could accept some argument on it if everybody wants to
> argue, and I can haul in counsel for the Discovery Institute.
>
> They have local counsel, in fact I think it's Mr. Boyle's firm
> who's local counsel, and we can go through that, have Mr. Boyle have
> another unhappy day in this court and have his head handed to him, or
> I can just summarily strike it. I'm not going to take an expert
> report. Now, there's yet another one that you have objected to, I can
> do that on the submissions and that's not a problem, but I'm
> interested, do you want to put a dog in that hunt?
>
> [493]MR. GILLEN: You know what, judge? Amicus at the trial court
> level, as rare as it is, you're going to have a full record, that's
> been our position from the beginning. The only thing I would suggest
> is like you say, you open the door now and who knows who's going to
> show up with a brief, and I don't =96
>
> [494]THE COURT: No, I didn't, I opened the door I think only to
> them.
>
> [495]MR. GILLEN: Right.
>
> [496]THE COURT: And I've corrected the error now and they're going
> to have to follow the rule to the extent that there are future
> submissions. I didn't open the door for anybody.
>
> [497]MR. GILLEN: Exactly. No way.

> [...]

--=20
David W. Opderbeck
Web: http://www.davidopderbeck.com