Re: Fwd: [asa] The Swift-Boating of Judge Jones

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Thu Dec 14 2006 - 14:21:53 EST

>>> Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net> 12/14/06 1:06 PM >>>writes:

@ This is my problem with the judge:

May 22, 2006 - Judge Jones reveals his false beliefs (premise for his
ruling) about the Anti-Establishment Clause in the Constitution:

"The founders believed that true religion was not something handed
down by a church or contained in a Bible, but was to be found through
free, rational inquiry. They possessed a great confidence in an
individual's ability to understand the world and its most fundamental
laws through the exercise of his or her reason. This core set of
beliefs led the founders, who constantly engaged and questioned
things, to secure their idea of religious freedom by barring any
alliance between church and state." ~U.S. District Judge John E.
Jones in his May 2006 commencement address to 500 graduates at his
alma mater, Dickinson College.

He needs to click my screen name and get up to speed. :)

Ted replies:
Janice, I share your dissent from the judge's view of the first part of the
first amendment. We both apparently agree that the disestablishment of
religion does not equate to promoting secularism, which is what the courts
tend to say it means.

But the judge's views on the primacy of reason were in fact prominent in
the writings of several important founders--esp Jefferson, whose view that
the First Amendment means that we must erect a "wall of separation between
church and state" comes from a letter he wrote to a Baptist church while he
was president. Jefferson's "Bible", which one can find for sale at
Monticello, consists in the moral teachings of Jesus, nothing more; it's a
slim volume, to say the least. Franklin also held a low view of scripture,
in keeping with his deism; John Adams was a Unitarian; and Tom Paine, the
fellow who helped rile us up, was a virulent critic of the Bible.

What exactly do you have to tell the judge, Janice, in your own words
please if possible. I don't agree with him, but I don't think he needs to
"get up to speed" on this.

ted