Re: [asa] UN Downgrades Man's Impact On The Climate

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed Dec 13 2006 - 23:59:29 EST

At 02:46 AM 12/11/2006, Iain Strachan wrote:

>@ :)
>
>~ Janice .... who couldn't resist offering one last fallacious
>humdrum harangue for this post : ) "..What offended me most about
>creationists was not so much what they believe (although I confess I
>find it strongly disagreeable), rather it was that they insisted
>that I must believe it too. .."
>~ Wayne <mailto:Dawsonzhu@aol.com>Dawsonzhu@aol.com: Sun, 19 Feb
>2006 10:46:47 EST - Re: Believe it even if it isn't true theology
><http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200602/0325.html>http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200602/0325.html
>

>Janice,
>
>What Wayne says is perfectly fair, ... I have first-hand experience
>of exactly what Wayne is stating. When the most prominent YEC
>spokesman in the UK (Prof. Andy McIntosh) came to preach at my
>church, it was abundantly clear from what he said that if you didn't
>accept Young Earth Creationism, but believed in the theory of
>evolution, then you might as well give up believing altogether and
>become an atheist. Most of the congregation, including the vicar,
>were just as offended as Wayne was. My wife (who isn't a scientist)
>was absolutely fuming at the end, and so were all the people in my
>house-group, including one who herself had creationist sympathies,
>but isn't so bigoted as to assume that her way is the only way. ~ Iain.

@ Bigots on the other side who believe that theirs is the only way:

"..The fact that the Drake equation was not greeted with screams of
outrage-similar to the screams of outrage that greet each Creationist
new claim, for example-meant that now there was a crack in the door,
a loosening of the definition of what constituted legitimate
scientific procedure. And soon enough, pernicious garbage began to
squeeze through the cracks. " ~ Michael Crichton 1/17/2003
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1752276/posts?page=46#46

~ Janice .... Bio: CRICHTON, (John) Michael. American. Born in
Chicago, Illinois, October 23, 1942. Educated at Harvard University,
Cambridge, Massachusetts, A.B. (summa cum laude) 1964 (Phi Beta
Kappa). Henry Russell Shaw Travelling Fellow, 1964-65. Visiting
Lecturer in Anthropology at Cambridge University, England, 1965.
Graduated Harvard Medical School, M.D. 1969; post-doctoral fellow at
the Salk Institute for Biological Sciences, La Jolla, California
1969-1970. Visiting Writer, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988.

"Therefore, he has as much credential as I do to discuss
environment." ~ Wayne Dawsonzhu@aol.com Sat, 30 Sep 2006 18:28:47
EDT Re: [asa] Edward O. Wilson shares Dawkins' basic views
http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200609/0430.html