Re: [asa] lactose tolerance mutation

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 13 2006 - 12:12:39 EST

Neutrality drives evolution:

While this may sound somewhat self contradictory, few people have
realized the importance of neutrality in evolution. For instance,
neutrality plays an essential role in RNA evolution and has been shown
to be an essential component in evolvability, the capacity to evolve.

Let me try to explain. If sequence space were islands of functionality
separated by values of low fitness, evolution would indeed be very
difficult. However, in case of RNA, findings show that sequence space
is characterized by few common and many uncommon motifs connected by
extensive pathways of neutrality. In other words, any given motif is
'close' to any other motif in the sense that it can be approached
closely via neutral pathways alone.

Toussaint, in his thesis, has shown how neutrality is an essential
component for evolution's success to evolve and that neutrality itself
is a selectable trait...

Recently, the work by Gavrilets on Holey Landscapes has shown that
also for proteins, the concept of neutral pathways exist,
significantly improving the probabilities of evolution.

http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2006/07/intelligent_des_27.html
 -----Begin quote------
Tellgren wrote:

To summarize, the implications of the assumption of a randomly chosen
fitness function do not just include Wolpert and Macready's NFL
result, but also the results

   1. that the absolute performance of any search for high-fitness
genotypes is fairly good and, importantly, independent of the size of
the genotype space, and
   2. the set of high-fitness genotypes is well-connected and the
connectedness ncreases with increasing dimensionality of the genotype
space.

More metaphorically, the NFL scenario may deny biological evolution a
free lunch, but once the lunch break is over it hands evolution a
large free bowl of noodle soup.
-------end quote-----

And on neutrality
http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2004/07/icons_of_id_neu.html