Re: [asa] lactose tolerance mutation

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 20:15:16 EST

It sure sounds like the same or an equivalent mutation. This from the
Washington Post article
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/10/AR2006121000781.html>
:

"Now, researchers have evidence that the domestication of cattle
thousands of years ago was the key to lactose tolerance emerging
independently in Europe and Africa."

The easiest explanation is the same mutation. One might speculate about
a certain susceptibility that allowed one mutation to occur, also
allowing the same mutation under similar conditions in another location.

JimA