Re: [asa] Michael Denton's Books

From: Ted Davis <>
Date: Mon Dec 11 2006 - 09:18:16 EST

>>> "Robert Schneider" <> 12/10/06 6:43 PM >>>writes:
Denton writes:

"> We speculate that it is unlikely that the folds will prove to be the
> only case in nature where a set of complex organic forms is
> determined by natural law, and suggest that natural law may have
> played a far greater role in the origin and evolution of life than is
> currently assumed."

Bob's comment: Assumed by whom? The IDers?

Ted replies:
No, Bob, probably not. Denton probably means the "Darwinians," who do not
tend to see life as a product of formal causes (ie, "laws") as much as they
see it as a product of "blind" secondary causes (ie, natural selection).

Denton has an interesting essay, "The Protein Folds as Platonic Forms: New
Support for the Pre-Darwinian Concept of Evolution by Natural Law," J theor
Biol (2002) 219: 325-42, arguing for something like Richard Owen's Platonic
view of organic form and formation. My suspicion is that this is the
relevant background for understanding the quotation above.

To unsubscribe, send a message to with