Re: [asa] UN Downgrades Man's Impact On The Climate

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Mon Dec 11 2006 - 09:03:17 EST

 Don't forget too, that there are other looming issues such as energy.

The current issue of Business Week (Dec. 18) states in an article entitled Put a Termite In Your Tank, "If efforts [involving 'bio breakthroughs' for digesting cellulose] can be scaled up efficiently, America's forests, agricultural waste, and 40 to 60 million acres of prairie grass could supply 100 billion gallons or more of fuel per year--while slashing greenhouse gas emissions. That would replace more than half the 150 billion gallons of gasoline now used [by the US] annually...."

Lots of "ifs" there, but still a rather remarkable statement. Pilot facilities are already being built.

Don