Re: [asa] Michael Denton's Books

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Dec 10 2006 - 15:53:30 EST

Yes, Denton has moved away from his original book as discussed by
Korthof. In a recent paper, Denton focuses on what he calls 'platonic
forms'

http://epsc.wustl.edu/~spozgay/home/Denton,Marshall,Legge-Jour.Theo.Biol.2002.pdf
and
http://www.estovest.net/ecosofia/lawsofform.html

---Begin quote-----
However, recent advances in protein chemistry suggest that at least
one set of biological forms -the basic protein folds- is determined by
physical laws similar to those giving rise to crystals and atoms. They
give every appearance of being invariant platonic forms of precisely
the type that the pre-darwinian biologists were seeking.
-----end quote-----

Evolution by natural law....

----Begin-----
We speculate that it is unlikely that the folds will prove to be the
only case in nature where a set of complex organic forms is
determined by natural law, and suggest that natural law may have
played a far greater role in the origin and evolution of life than is
currently assumed.
----End quote----

Science is no friend of the IDT movement

Protein and RNA forms are an interesting topic. For instance,
researchers have found that RNA protein forms form a well connected
structure where other RNA forms are connected via neutral pathways.
This means that neutral evolution plays/played an important role in
RNA. Work by researchers on proteins and holey adaptive landscapes has
shown similar effects.

Check out the work by Gavrilets for instance. Fascinating stuff that
counters much of the assertions by IDers about protein landscapes.