Re: [asa] Michael Denton's Books

From: Don Nield <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Sun Dec 10 2006 - 15:12:56 EST

It should be noted that about 20 years have passed since the publication
of "Evolution, a Theory in Crisis" and Denton himself has answered some
of his old arguments. One should read Denton's second book, "Nature' s
Destiny", and especially his chapter in the book " Uncommon Dissent"
edited by Dembski..
Briefly, Denton now regrets the choice of title -- it should have been
"Darwinism, a Theory in Crisis". Denton also regrets the spin that the
ID movement headed by Phillip Johnson has put on the book, and he has
dissociated himself from the Discovery Institute of which he was
formerly a Fellow.
Recent advances in molecular biology have convinced Denton that small
changes at the genetic level can explain certain major changes at a
higher level. Crucially, Denton now sees macromolecular structures as
self-organizing lawful forms rather than as mechanisms.
Don