Re: [asa] natural laws and God

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Sat Dec 09 2006 - 11:25:12 EST

Ted wrote: "The order of nature is therefore contingent, with
observed regularities reflecting God's faithfulness in upholding the
creation as expressed through God's ordinary power, rather than any rational
necessity arising from the nature of things."

This is what I call the religious view of nature and natural law; it implies that nothing is supernatural, just that God at times suspends the usual regularity of nature, which usual regularity is contingent on his will from femtosecond to femtosecond. This is perfectly acceptable, of course, for religious people, and I myself accept it with the understanding that evidences such as those of the fossil record suggest that God is reluctant to suspend the usual regularity. That is, he seems unwilling to manipulate nature in such a way as, for example, to make the trajectory of evolution appear other than haphazard. In other places I've referred to God's apparent unwillingness to manipulate things as his granting the world as much independence from himself as possible: He establishes his usual rules and lets the world run more or less freely under them. (This view eliminates most theodicy problems.)

The scientist's version of natural law, then, is simply a codification of the usual regularity. (By "scientist's version" I'm referring to what I perceive to be the consensus of the contemporary scientific community.) As you know, scientists generally do not regard such natural laws as contingent but, instead, fixed in the nature of things. So miracle in the sense I've recently used the word would refer to instances where God has suspended the usual regularity, instances that many if not most scientists would refer to as violating natural law, instances I've recently referred to as evidence of the application of "brute force."

But God could also make frequent changes in the direction of the world's evolution while at the same time avoiding suspending the usual regularity by manipulating quantum probabilities. However, this desire on the part of some Christians with scientific backgrounds to have a world with no instances of such divine brute force stems purely from esthetic considerations IMO; it doesn't make a hill of beans difference to me whether God uses brute force or manipulation of QM probabilities.

Much effort has been expended (wasted?) in attempts to explain how biblical miracles supposedly did not involve God's suspending the usual regularity but were the results of natural events. Miracles associated with the Exodus are treated this way, and Janice's preferred explanation of Lot's wife and salt is another example. They all involve huge doses of speculation, and I've found none convincing. Ultimately the efforts are futile, because you can't possibly explain all the biblical miracles in such ways. It's far more reasonable in many cases to attribute aspects of some accounts to legend, distortion and exaggeration through frequent retelling, or real miracle.

Don