Re: [asa] Spiritual Warfare (Was: Random and design)

From: David Campbell <>
Date: Fri Dec 08 2006 - 15:18:36 EST

On 12/8/06, David Opderbeck <> wrote:
> Here is a related question: how do angels and demons fit into this picture
> of nature? A friend of mine is a missionary. She served with tribal people
> and now serves with people who blend a modern faith with a tribal faith.
> She was home recently and was describing rituals and practices she observed
> that she believes clearly involved demon possession. The missions
> literature on spiritual warfare in non-western societies is fascinating
> (see, e.g., "Spiritual Conflict in Today's Mission," Lausanne Committee for
> World Evangelization, Occasional Paper No. 29). The New Testament, of
> course, is explicit about the reality of spiritual conflict.

They're not very amenable to scientific study, as pointed out in a
paper in Journal of Irreproducible Results that purported to try to
use angels in place of lab rats. Going through maze walls and lack of
interest in chow were a couple of the difficulties. Although the main
purpose of that was obviously silliness, standard scientific
techniques aren't very useful with regard to spiritual beings.

Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections
University of Alabama
To unsubscribe, send a message to with