Re: [asa] Spiritual Warfare (Was: Random and design)

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Dec 08 2006 - 15:18:36 EST

On 12/8/06, David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is a related question: how do angels and demons fit into this picture
> of nature? A friend of mine is a missionary. She served with tribal people
> and now serves with people who blend a modern faith with a tribal faith.
> She was home recently and was describing rituals and practices she observed
> that she believes clearly involved demon possession. The missions
> literature on spiritual warfare in non-western societies is fascinating
> (see, e.g., "Spiritual Conflict in Today's Mission," Lausanne Committee for
> World Evangelization, Occasional Paper No. 29). The New Testament, of
> course, is explicit about the reality of spiritual conflict.

They're not very amenable to scientific study, as pointed out in a
paper in Journal of Irreproducible Results that purported to try to
use angels in place of lab rats. Going through maze walls and lack of
interest in chow were a couple of the difficulties. Although the main
purpose of that was obviously silliness, standard scientific
techniques aren't very useful with regard to spiritual beings.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections