Re: [asa] Tas Walker's Biblical Geologicl Model

From: David Campbell <>
Date: Fri Dec 08 2006 - 14:29:10 EST

> 2) I notice that Walker notes that during the "Biotic" stage which
> corresponds to the 5th and 6th days that there could be "possible evidence
> of terrestrial life and death" in the sedimentary rocks formed on those
> days. I'm assuming then, that he would except that some biotic death
> occurred and that he then believes that death as a result of Adam's sin
> resulted in the death of organism with breath. Is this the consensus of the
> YEC community now or is Walker going moving beyond the older views?

I've encountered other young-earth sources suggesting that "advanced
mammals" are what did not die until after the fall. As "mammal" is
not a Biblical concept, and rodents, relatively close relatives of
primates, fall under the OT category of "creeping things" rather than
"beasts", I don't see that as a tenable interpretation of Genesis, but
it does suggest that some of the objections to "absolutely no death
before the Fall" have had an impact.

> To me, I would think that this attempt to bring the entire geological column
> under a model that attempts to posit the formation of vast portions of the
> geological column in a matter of days, compared to the hundreds of days
> potentially during the flood to produce a fraction of the geological column,
> seems highly unlikely. In fact, I have asked some lay Christians about
> their views of geology and many will comment that flood geology seems to
> make sense but when I then ask if they think it is reasonable that extensive
> portions of the geological column formed on the third day of creation even
> that sounds like too much and they say that God just did it. Of course I've
> asked how, and the response always is that it was all supernatural. I
> think Walker is just providing a natural extension of where YEC though
> leads. To me it is just another case of showing how untenable the whole
> edifice is though.

A related problem is the inability of young earthers to identify what
parts of the geological record are before, during, or after the Flood.

Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections
University of Alabama
To unsubscribe, send a message to with