Re: [asa] Lets move beyond straw men and uninformed opinion

From: James Mahaffy <Mahaffy@dordt.edu>
Date: Thu Dec 07 2006 - 12:40:54 EST

See below:

--
James Mahaffy (mahaffy@dordt.edu)          Phone: 712 722-6279
498 4th Ave NE
Biology Department                                     FAX :  712
722-1198
Dordt College, Sioux Center IA 51250-1697
<008901c719f1$2742a400$6df4cdd9@D9D1ZJ1J>,
"Michael Roberts" <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> This is a very wise post and I agree with what you say.
>
> To list the problems of ID;
> 1. Political posing of Wells Johnson
> 2. Inaccurate content of writings by Wells and Johnson in particular.
There
> is an honesty question here.
> 3. Refusal to come clean on the age of the earth
> 4 Willingness to associate too closely with YEC
> 5 (weaker) association with Right Wing agenda and weak on the
environment
> 6 Tendency to be god of the gaps
> 7 Tendency to be offensive to TEs
>
> Points 1 and 2 are the most serious and remove all credibility from
ID.

> Because of this I do not take any ID arguments seriously
>
> Michael
Michael,
Please.  It is posts like this that made me start the thread.  May I
still consider you a brother in Christ and
someone whose opinion I should sometimes listen to in spite of the fact
that:
1. the Anglican church has some problems
2. I might not agree with everyone in your congregation (are any of
them YEC).
3. Britain has a parliamentary system of government. If you can object
to ID because some are right wing, this is fair.
I am sorry but I still associate also with some brothers in Christ that
are YEC.  Maybe I feel for why they take their position.
I am saddened when you make the following statement:
> Points 1 and 2 are the most serious and remove all credibility from
ID.

> Because of this I do not take any ID arguments seriously
You would categorize all ID folks including Behe and Dembski in the
same camp because you don't like Johnson or Wells.
I know I will run into both of you and Behe in heaven although neither
of you is Christian Reformed. Dembski's wife was Dutch so I had use
Behe.