Re: [asa] Predictive Power: Astronomy vs. Evolution

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Thu Dec 07 2006 - 10:57:06 EST

[This is being resent because of ISP-induced mail problem - JimA]
Evolution as a basic principle embodies multiple encounters, selective
factors, survival, and time. Bare bones, though the Darwinian exposition
of the principals came about in this context, the principals do not have
to have a biological context. That's the reason that the abstracted
template fits financial (e.g., in our country, "free enterprise"),
social, and other contexts as well. That in itself comprises a powerful
validation of the principals. But this also means that the "products"
of the evolution also do not have to be of the same sort. They might be
configurational, or trajectory related, or whatever. One evolutionary
instantiation is not required to fit another in the particulars, only to
have in common their basic dynamics.

But to the point of this post, check out this link which thoughtfully
(and in timely fashion) posed this question today: "Do Galaxies Follow
Darwinian Evolution?"
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/12/061204123401.htm

JimA