Re: [asa] Predictive Power: Astronomy vs. Evolution

From: Don Nield <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Wed Dec 06 2006 - 16:53:24 EST

Moorad is correct that the predictive power of Newtonian theory is not
the same as that of evolutionary theory, but that is irrelevant. One
cannot impose an arbitrary criterion for the level of predictive power.
In this context *any* predictive power is sufficient. Evolutionary
theory predicts that a certain class of phenomena (which famously
includes rabbit fossils in Cambrian rocks) will never be observed . That
is enough for the present argument.
Don