Re: [asa] Random and design

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Mon Dec 04 2006 - 21:00:18 EST

This exchange has provoked me to wonder how much of our proposed
categorizations of various phenomena (i.e. natural and/or divine) is
reducible to mere word play. For example, we define scientific law as
that which has been observed to be true universally as far as we can see
and over time as far back as we ever started measuring it. So it is by
definition that no regular or repeatable "violations" to such a law have
ever been observed. If they had, we would no longer call it a law. If
the divine interventions were physically detectable on a regular basis,
then they would simply be incorporated as a new set of observations
fitting within some new law to be explicated.

Regarding a common perception that miracles don't happen like they used
to in Bible times: There must be a name for the faulty perception of
"crowding" as the observer's distance away increases. Just as a
cluster of telephone poles could look closely packed if you were a mile
away from them and yet appear quite far apart if you were standing among
them, we may be fostering a distorted view of "Biblical times" by
thinking of them as action packed with miracles. The narratives will,
for understandable reasons, dwell on those special times (like history
books tend to jump from war to war). And yet more careful readings
reveal quite the "dry spells" that people endured -- enough that various
Psalms reveal the same kinds of stubborn doubts about God's presence (or
seeming lack of) that is supposedly the skeptical domain of recent
centuries. For all we know, a book compiled about our present
centuries might convey to a (several millenniums future if anybody is
still around) readership a that our present period is full of
extravagant divine activity. -- most of which may be invisible to us
right now because of its localized sense, that will only be recognized
as significant by future eyes who see wider contexts than we now can.
Likewise, "details" which seem significant to us right now may fade into
unseeable insignificance to these possible future readers. In fact,
we may appear to them to have been on the tails of New Testament & Old
Testament activity, practically merging with them from their temporally
distant perspective. Of course, if you were lucky enough to be alive
to walk with Jesus, or cross the Red sea with Moses, then you get may
get an eyeful. But those are tiny spots on the time line. And even
their lives were lived over many years instead of over many chapters
that can be read in a few days.

Things (including our "empty spaces") loom large to us when we're living
in the middle of them. I guess that pretty well summarizes my ramble
above.

--merv