Re: [asa] The "Church of Latter Day Scientists" ?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Dec 01 2006 - 14:36:20 EST

*Comte was not really very successful, frankly--one doesn't find in every
city a "Church of the Holy Matter."*

But you do, Ted, only we call them "universities" rather than "churches." I
know a sentence like that sounds like some sort of knee-jerk religious right
sentiment, but it really isn't -- it's exactly the sort of thing someone
like Milbank would say. I'd suggest the project of establishing a secular
religion based on "science" is succeeding splendidly.

On 12/1/06, Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu> wrote:

> Christians need to be concerned with far more serious threats than a
> "Church of Latter Day Scientists." If it ever comes into being it will be
> as big a joke as Comte's "Universal Church of the Religion of Humanity."
>
> Ted adds:
> George is dead on target, with his point and also his reference to Comte
> in
> this context. Comte's work led directly in the USA in the mid and late
> 19th
> century, to the idea of "the religion of science," the very term in those
> very words that Richard Dawkins is now using to describe his own
> vision. At
> least 4 books called "The Religion of Science" were published in the US
> between 1860-1925, and it is abundantly clear that they have in mind the
> kind of program that Comte described, namely the replacement of
> traditional
> religion with a "religion" based on "science," or at least what Comte
> thought "science" to imply (on which, see Dawkins).
>
> Comte was not really very successful, frankly--one doesn't find in every
> city a "Church of the Holy Matter." (Though I do sometimes wonder, if I
> might make a joke, whether some with a quite different religious agenda
> want
> to erect a "Church of the Bacterial Flagellum.") True enough, one does
> find
> that Comte's agenda is fairly well represented in some actual religious
> establishments, such as the ethical culture society or some Buddhist
> temples
> (I think here of one not far from my office, where the spiritual leader
> mouths the warfare thesis as part of his creed), and even in some
> Unitarian
> and UCC churches (where traditional Christian beliefs are seen as
> "unscientific" and we need a new, more "scientific" set of beliefs to
> replace them). But people tend not to flock to these, at least not in the
> US.
>
> Ted

David W. Opderbeck
Web:  http://www.davidopderbeck.com