Re: [asa] The "Church of Latter Day Scientists" ?

From: Pim van Meurs <pimvanmeurs@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Dec 01 2006 - 13:04:06 EST

Interesting and perhaps unsurprisingly evolutionary biologists are
finding evidence for her ideas. Hauser's moral grammar, altruism and
reciprocal altruism in nature, even the genetic nature of
religiosity. Augustine's words were very relevant once again here.

It behoves us as scientists and Christians to explore these issues,
or at least speak about them knowledgably

Sociobiology: The Conversation Continues CHRISTIAN LOVE AND
BIOLOGICAL ALTRUISM
by Hubert Meisinger translated by Alfred Kracher

So far we have considered separately two areas: the love command in
the New Testament within its general context, and altruism research
in sociobiology. In this chapter we will try to relate them to each
other, beginning with a synopsis of the individual results oriented
on the three general themes—awareness of expanding inclusiveness,
awareness of excessive demand, and threshold awareness. The aim will
not be to present content that is related in a systematic manner but
rather dialogue based on a common methodological perspective. This
approach will show in what respect it is possible to talk about
prescientific and scientific perspectives of the same phenomenon,
generally speaking, prosocial behavior. After that two models for a
relational analysis between Christian religion or theology and
sociobiology, which have been developed in the United States by Ralph
Wendell Burhoe and Philip Hefner, will be presented. From these,
new impulses may emerge for a further interdisciplinary dialogue
between theology and science in the areas under discussion.