[asa] Letters to Sam Harris a "Maladjusted Misotheist"

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri Dec 01 2006 - 11:42:31 EST

Letters to a Maladjusted Misotheist

Responding to Sam Harris and his book, Letter to a Christian
Nation. http://www.amazon.com/Letter-Christian-Nation-Sam-Harris/dp/0307265773
(Sam Harris is a graduate in philosophy from Stanford University and
has studied both Eastern and Western religious traditions, along with
a variety of contemplative disciplines, for twenty years. Mr. Harris
is now completing a doctorate in neuroscience. )

Nine different reply "letters" were done this month and there will be
a couple more at least this coming month. ~ J. P. Holding

<http://www.tektonics.org/gk/harrisletter.html>http://www.tektonics.org/gk/harrisletter.html

~ Janice ... Sigh... Why do scientists and secular humanist
philosophers make exactly the mistake St Augustine warned Christians
against regarding science:

Augustine:

Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the
heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and
orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about
the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years
and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so
forth, and this knowledge he hold to as being certain from reason and
experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an
infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy
Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all
means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show
up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is
not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people
outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held such
opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we
toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected as
unlearned men. If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which
they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish
opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books
in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of
eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages
are full of falsehoods and on facts which they themselves have learnt
from experience and the light of reason? Reckless and incompetent
expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their
wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false
opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the
authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly
foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon
Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages
which they think support their position, although they understand
neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertion.
[1 Timothy 1.7]