RE: [asa] What causes students to move from faith?

From: Alexanian, Moorad <>
Date: Thu Sep 07 2006 - 15:13:11 EDT

1s, There is no disagreement here. The same is done in stellar evolution
where one studies many stars and so determines the typical lifespan of a
generic star. However, the description of the whole history of the
occurrence of life on earth is a different matter. There is no average
that one can take over observed occurrences of life elsewhere. For
instance, whether cosmology is a science or not was an issue raised by
Bondi in his book Cosmology.

2d, Paleontologists and forensic scientists can do experiments; there is
no problem with that. Who does the repeatable experiments is not

3d, One is referring here to a division a labor. Paleontologists want to
reconstruct history according to extant data and results from the
experimental sciences. That is all I am saying and I believe that it is
obvious. It seems that people read what I write and imagine that I have
some ulterior motive for saying what I say!

4th, There are aspects of astrophysics that are historical like the
origin of galaxies, stars, etc. In fact, astrophysics is like making a
sandwich with stuff that experimental scientists make available to them.

I do pay attention and very much appreciate your posts.