RE: mtDNA Eve and the determination of humanity

From: <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 22:12:44 EST
Dick, Given this answer, I have to ask. Why is it do you think, that we never have found skeletons showing evidence of such antiquity?  Gravity and growth gradually change the skeleton, as well as bones get broken and even one bone every 20 years, we should end up with someone quite scarred in their skeleton.  Any ideas?

On Mon Feb 27 13:05 , "Dick Fischer" sent:

Hi Glenn, you wrote:

For Dick, If you are so certain of the inviolable nature of the genealogies, why don't you explain what I pointed out to John Tandy.  Between Abraham and David, the geezers were getting all the girls and having the average first child at age 61.  I have never known of a society where this was true.  Can you here and now say that you believe that?  After all, that is the implication of your position on the non-gap genealogies.  And between Abe and Noah, the average age was something above 100.  I know that most young 18-year-old girls would really be thrilled to marry a nonagenerian and if the guy is over 100 he is more of a heart-throb.

This is the question I would like you to answer.

Could there be a handful of missing generations?  I guess there could, but what I consider more likely is that their ages dwindled slowy down with each succeding generation.  Abraham lived 175 years.  R20;And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, an hundred threescore and fifteen years.R21; (Gen. 25:7).  Abram’s age and Sarai’s age was the issue when Sarai decided it was necessary to procreate ouside the bounds of matrimony.  Just look at the ages of the patriarchs from Noah to Abraham.

Noah lived to age 950, but Noah's son, Shem, died at 600 years of age.  The first downward shift in longevity came after ten consecutive generations of long life.  This is an indication that Noah's wife was the probable cause, and that she had a direct bloodline tie to the indigenous population.  Although Noah was "perfect in his generations" (Gen. 6:9), no claim is made about his wife.  When Noah's perfect line, through Adam and Seth, was mixed with his wife's imperfect line, their offspring had shorter life spans; and Shem, who only lived to 600, was the first to suffer a speedy demise.

Look at the succeeding generations of Shem.  Arpachshad, Shelah, and Eper failed to make it to 500.  The next five generations did not see a 250th birthday.  Abraham and Isaac passed away at 175 and 180, respectively.  Jacob died before reaching 150, and so it went.  Intermarriages between the long-lived Semites and their short-lived neighbors produced children who died off at increasingly younger ages.  Gradually, the results of mixing took its toll.

I believe Genesis 6:1-3 describes intermarriages between the Adamite populations and the Ubaidans or possibly the Sumerians.  From the Lagash Kinglist, Jacobsen noted that the post-flood kings of Lagash (Semites probably) not only lived extraordinarily long, they also lived extraordinarily "slowly."

In those days a child spent a hundred years

                        In diapers (lit. "in <bits> of the wash")

            After he had grown up he spent a hundred years

                        Without being given any task (to perform)

            He was small, he was dull witted

                        His mother watched over him. (1)

1. Thorkild Jacobsen, "The Eridu Genesis," Journal of Biblical Literature 100/4 (1981) 520-521.

The average age at childbirth is consistent with the long ages they lived.  Besides, some of us “geezers” still have charm, we’re just late bloomers, that’s all.

Dick Fischer

www.genesisproclaimed.org