RE: mtDNA Eve and the determination of humanity

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 13:05:38 EST

Hi Glenn, you wrote:
For Dick, If you are so certain of the inviolable nature of the
genealogies, why don't you explain what I pointed out to John Tandy.
Between Abraham and David, the geezers were getting all the girls and
having the average first child at age 61. I have never known of a
society where this was true. Can you here and now say that you believe
that? After all, that is the implication of your position on the
non-gap genealogies. And between Abe and Noah, the average age was
something above 100. I know that most young 18-year-old girls would
really be thrilled to marry a nonagenerian and if the guy is over 100 he
is more of a heart-throb.
This is the question I would like you to answer.

Could there be a handful of missing generations? I guess there could,
but what I consider more likely is that their ages dwindled slowy down
with each succeding generation. Abraham lived 175 years. "And these
are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, an hundred
threescore and fifteen years." (Gen. 25:7). Abram's age and Sarai's age
was the issue when Sarai decided it was necessary to procreate ouside
the bounds of matrimony. Just look at the ages of the patriarchs from
Noah to Abraham.

Noah lived to age 950, but Noah's son, Shem, died at 600 years of age.
The first downward shift in longevity came after ten consecutive
generations of long life. This is an indication that Noah's wife was
the probable cause, and that she had a direct bloodline tie to the
indigenous population. Although Noah was "perfect in his generations"
(Gen. 6:9), no claim is made about his wife. When Noah's perfect line,
through Adam and Seth, was mixed with his wife's imperfect line, their
offspring had shorter life spans; and Shem, who only lived to 600, was
the first to suffer a speedy demise.

Look at the succeeding generations of Shem. Arpachshad, Shelah, and
Eper failed to make it to 500. The next five generations did not see a
250th birthday. Abraham and Isaac passed away at 175 and 180,
respectively. Jacob died before reaching 150, and so it went.
Intermarriages between the long-lived Semites and their short-lived
neighbors produced children who died off at increasingly younger ages.
Gradually, the results of mixing took its toll.

I believe Genesis 6:1-3 describes intermarriages between the Adamite
populations and the Ubaidans or possibly the Sumerians. From the Lagash
Kinglist, Jacobsen noted that the post-flood kings of Lagash (Semites
probably) not only lived extraordinarily long, they also lived
extraordinarily "slowly."

In those days a child spent a hundred years
                        In diapers (lit. "in <bits> of the wash")
            After he had grown up he spent a hundred years
                        Without being given any task (to perform)
            He was small, he was dull witted
                        His mother watched over him. (1)

1. Thorkild Jacobsen, "The Eridu Genesis," Journal of Biblical
Literature 100/4 (1981) 520-521.

The average age at childbirth is consistent with the long ages they
lived. Besides, some of us "geezers" still have charm, we're just late
bloomers, that's all.

Dick Fischer
 <http://www.genesisproclaimed.org> www.genesisproclaimed.org