Re: The death of the RTB model

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 23:03:01 EST

You've misunderstood "inland waterway." The atlas had an inland waterway
from New Orleans to Minneapolis, or thereabouts, up to Ohio River to
Wheeling or thereabouts. These are not the realm of deep draft vessels,
but of shallow draft stern-wheelers in the past, and barges in the
present. So I believe that there is sufficient evidence that the vessels
that navigate the Mississippi-Missouri-Ohio Rivers could not sail on the
Mesopotamian rivers. But the stern-wheelers were nowhere near as large as
the Ark is stated to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphrates_River says "The Euphrates is only
navigable by very shallow-draft boats." Elsewhere I learned that modern
transportation is restricted to downstream of Basra.
Dave

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:59:46 -0500 "Dick Fischer"