Genealogical Gaps?

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 17:03:46 EST

Hi Glenn:

I just picked out this one comment from your response to John Tandy:

That people are missing from the genealogies is no big surprise. The
question is how many people? Can you cite a verse that says no
geneological gap shall hold more than 5 people? The issue is not when
the
people lived or how old they are. The issue is whether or not they were
real people.

We have always agreed (I believe) that Adam and Noah were real people.
We have only differed on when they lived. Did Noah live 5,000 years
ago, or did he live 5 million years ago? This should be easy to answer
as the difference is enormously large. At 5 mya Noah would have been a
Homo erectus, not our species. Right? That alone should make one
hesitant I would think.

Putting Noah at the 5 million year mark and Abraham at 2000 BC puts a
whopping hole in the inspired text. I don't know of a single living
breathing person (except one) who adheres to that. Where in the
biblical narrative could we stuff thousands of missing generations
between Noah and Abraham?

Terah is Abraham's father who had Abe and Haran. Haran died at Ur "the
land of his nativity". This ties both Abraham and his father Terah to
Ur of the Chaldees. No opportunity here to stuff in a thousand or so
generations between father and son at the bottom end. How about the top
end?

Noah had three sons, Ham, Shem and Japheth. Genesis 9:8 says: "And God
spake unto Noah, and to his sons with him." Would there be any reason
to believe Noah's sons were other than these three? It says in Genesis
9:18: "And the sons of Noah, that went forth of the ark, were Shem, and
Ham, and Japheth."

So at the outset Scripture prohibits extra unnamed generations between
either Abraham and his father or between Noah and his three sons. What
about the next generation from Noah's sons? Check out this narrative.

Genesis 9: 22-26: "And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of
his father, and told his two brethren without. And Shem and Japheth took
a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and
covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward,
and they saw not their father's nakedness. And Noah awoke from his wine,
and knew what his younger son had done unto him. And he said, Cursed be
Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren. And he
said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant."

This narrative has Noah alive at the same time as at least one of his
grandsons. I don't think it is any reach to assume then that the rest
of Noah's grandsons lived in the same timeframe as Noah. Let's look at
some of Noah's grandsons and see whether they could have lived millions
of years ago.

Genesis 9: 6: "And the sons of Ham; Cush, and Mizraim, and Phut, and
Canaan." Since we are told Noah was still alive and knew his grandson
Canaan, at least well enough to curse him, can we also assume Noah was
alive at the same time as Canaan's brothers? Cush, for example, who is
listed as older than Canaan?

Well, "Cush begat Nimrod" (Gen. 10:8), whose kingdom was "Babel, and
Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar" (Gen. 10:10). Oh,
oh. We're already in Mesopotamia! Only three generations from Noah,
not millions of years ago, only a few thousand.

Noah must have known Cush who was older than Canaan. And Nimrod is tied
to Mesopotamia later than 5,000 years ago. The only opportunity to
plunk in a few million years is between Cush and Nimrod. But Cush and
Asshur were first cousins according to Genesis. And Asshur is father to
the Assyrians - not millions of years ago, but only a few thousand.

If Noah was still alive at the time of his grandson Canaan, what about
another grandson, Asshur whose father was Shem? Gen. 10:11: Out of that
land went forth Asshur, and builded Nineveh ." Noah must be
contemporary with the building of Nineveh. How old is Nineveh?

And so it goes with other grandsons and great grandsons of Noah. Many
of Noah's immediate descendants named in Genesis eleven have ties to
identifiable history in the post flood period.

The land of Canaan that Abraham sought ties Abraham and Noah to the same
general time frame. Ebla is the oldest Canaanite city and dates to
roughly 3000 BC. The clay tablets found there were written in a Semitic
tongue.

Further, in Ezek. 10:2: "Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, the chief
prince of Meshech and Tubal." Meshech and Tubal are two of Japheth's
sons, Noah's grandsons (Gen. 10:2). Their descendants causing trouble
for millions of years and through speciation perhaps?

The Elamites destroyed Sumer. They were named in the "Lamentations over
the destruction of the city of Ur." Elam was another of Noah's
grandsons, first born of Shem.

I can cite further examples, but why belabor the point? Scripture
disallows extra generations between Noah and his immediate grandsons.
And his immediate grandsons and great grandsons can be tied to
relatively recent history. It's creative perhaps, but if we are to have
any confidence that Genesis is real history, it most assuredly is recent
history.

Dick Fischer
 <http://www.genesisproclaimed.org> www.genesisproclaimed.org