Re: Washington Post Magazine article on ID

From: <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 11:24:34 EST
I am curious if David Deutsch's views that the successful quantum computatoinal solution of a computationally hard algorithm that requires more resources than are available to it in this universe would actually confirm the many world's hypothesis of Hugh Everet. Any comment?

On Fri Feb 24 14:43 , "Randy Isaac" sent:

Janice,
    I'm not sure what point you were trying to make nor do I know how this is relevant to the topic of this list, but if anyone wants to talk about quantum computing, I'd be delighted.  We hired Isaac Chuang shortly after he and Neil made this statement.  He worked in our Almaden lab and in a couple of years he indeed successfully used his quantum computing system to factor the number 15 and verified that those factors were 3 and 5.  Maybe some of you smart folks could have verified that for less than a few million dollars.  But his highly touted approach with NMR wasn't extendible to more than a handful or two of qubits, let alone the fact that it required liquid helium temperatures and a magnetic field strong enough to wipe out all credit card debt within 15 feet.  He went back to academia.  Not sure where he is now.  We did send a couple of post-docs from Almaden to U of Illinois where they are, as you cited, making progress in different types of quantum computing.  Other areas being pursued are various quantum flux devices.
    Main message is, don't hold your breath waiting for commercial quantum computing devices.  Certainly not on a laptop.
    Maybe your point was that just as a non-running computer makes fewer errors, non-posting on this list ensures fewer criticisms.
    Randy