Re: Small Victories

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 15:54:26 EST

I started reading the articles in the journal you attached. The first one
says "The scientific creationists demand that their scriptures are, using
literal interpretations, scientific descriptions of nature while ignoring
flat earth and other conflicting observations that are not supported by
science or logic." Fair enough.

The footnote reference for that statement, however, is to a section of the
Chicago Statement of Inerrancy, which states the familiar (to Evangelicals)
proposition that apparent inconsistencies between observations in general
revelation and statements in scripture may be the result of phenomenological
language or of other misunderstandings that we believe will one day be
clarified. The author ridicules this position and compares it to Occam's
Razor which, he erroneously reports, holds that "what you see is what you
get."

I almost barfed. This author clearly has no clue what Evangelicals mean when
we talk about the inerrancy of scripture, or what other Christians mean when
they talk about the authority of scripture, or how anything other than
WYSIWYG could provide a ground for a truth claim (even if Occam himself
would disagree).

I do hope groups like the ASA can educate the Church about what good science
is and isn't, and how it relates to the claims of our faith. Sometimes I
think, though, that in our zeal to preserve science from error, we ally
ourselves with even worse error. Multitudes of people are heading for Hell
because they are deceived into believing the Gospel is a myth and science
explains everything without any need for God (the "proper" use of Occam's
razor against theism).

I read Keith's contribution to the Georgia publication, and he makes the
point that "science" is only a limited method and not an explanation of all
truth. Good. But as the lead author's article in that same volume
demonstrates, that doesn't seem to be how scientists actually act or think,
excepting maybe a few folks like Keith. Don't we accomodate too easily to
postivism and scientism? Don't we spend too much energy debating ID,
arguing with our brothers and sisters about whether Noah poled the ark
upstream or not and such, and not enough defining a clear *Christian *witness
concerning the limits of science?