quotables

From: Charles Carrigan <CCarriga@olivet.edu>
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 14:40:16 EST

Dear Friends,

I am looking for some quotes from Church fathers (prior to the past century) that deal with matters in science/learning/faith etc. to share with some of my current and future students in Earth science. As an example, Pim van Meurs posted a quote to the ASA list from Augustine recently that would fit what I'm looking for nicely ("Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and ...."). I have seen quotes from church leaders/theologians/etc. such as Augustine and John Calvin and others on this list at times in the past, and thought that I had saved quite a few of them somewhere in my email program. Unfortunately, I'm not able to find them (lost in cyberspace). If anyone knows of quotes that might be relevant, or could point me to a source where I might find such things, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Best Regards,
Charles

Charles W. Carrigan, Ph.D.
Olivet Nazarene University