Re: mtDNA Eve and the determination of humanity

From: jack syme <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 14:32:33 EST

I was sent a private message saying that Fuz Rana replied to the new Templeton data on a radio show, saying that he addressed this issue a couple of years ago.

Here is a link to the Web broadcast where he responds to the Templeton's March 17 2002 in Nature titled "out of Africa again and again."

http://www.reasons.org/resources/multimedia/rtbradio/cu_archives/protected/200201-06archives.shtml

The link is halfway down the page and is titled: Fossilized evidence of the earliest life, or fossilized dirt? (you need to be registered)

Rana's comments are summarized as follows:

Templeton's article is data used to support the MRH and if it was true the MRH would not be compatible with RTB's biblical model.

Rana makes the claim that (at least in 2002) that the MRH was not living up to most of the data and that it was held only by a minority.

His refutation of the Templeton data is that it is just a "mishmash" of data from 10 or 11 studies that he analyzes using his own technique.

Rana claims that Templeton's data is not as valid as mtDNA or YChromosome DNA studies because Templeton's data contains autosomal DNA studies. Rana is not clear on why the autosomal DNA data is not as rigorous as mtDNA or Y chromosomal DNA. In fact he makes the claim that the mtDNA and the Ychromosomal DNA plugged into the Templeton algorithm supports the OOA hypothesis.

He also says that Templeton's data is not as convincing as it sounds because it is a small sample size, small in geographic distribution, etc. It is not clear to me if the newest data would answer some of these concerns.