Re: mtDNA Eve and the determination of humanity

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 11:57:07 EST

--- glennmorton@entouch.net wrote:

I almost added a response to Terry's comment to the last note. The biggest
thing I hear from people rejecting my views is not that my facts are wrong, or
that I have some awful illogicalness (like poling boats upcurrent and uphill).
I hear that the constant complaint that Adam is too old to be believable and
that he has to be neolithic. ) For some reason we have come to believe that it
is logical to have a non-neolithic Adam of 100,000 years ago (who still can't
hold the genetic unity of mankind) but not logical to have a non-neolithic Adam
of 5 million years ago so that evidences of religion (which clearly do not
define humanity for a number of people) and genetics (which shows that some of
our genes are that old). We are willing to have the chronologies stretched by
double or more but then if one goes and simply does more and moves Adam further
back, the rubberband breaks and suddenly what was viewed as logical is no
longer viewed as ok? So, I would try to make an observation here that offering
something that fits the observational data of science does not ensure success.
And if someone thinks my facts are wrong on something, I would love to be
corrected because I would rather have it right than avoid admitting I was
wrong.

And one other observation. When one tries to discuss evidence of an older
Adam, people go silent on this list like YECs do about geology. It is truly
amazing, but I think I found the evidence of antiquity people don't want to
accept on this side of the fence.

Two observations:

1. You seem to take evidence of religion as evidence of humaness (I agree) and
also as evidence of descent from Adam (I question this)
2. A good part of your work has been aimed at creationists, who favor literal
interpretation. Some of them can accept that the genealogies can cover 100,000
years, but it strains credibility to stretch them out to millions of years. And
there is a viable alternative available: neolithic Adam.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.