RE: The death of the RTB model

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 11:39:25 EST

Hi Dave:

By all means please feel free to add this argument to your personal list
of higher criticisms. But whatever may appear to be counter intuitive
doesn't change some of the basics. There was a local flood born out by
the flood deposits found in the principle cities; Kish, Shurrupak, Uruk
(Erech), and Lagash, and the Sumerian King List, and the Mesopotamian
flood narratives including Genesis. Ashurbanipal (668-626 BC) who
compiled the library at Ninevah wrote: "I study stone inscriptions from
before the flood, which are obtuse, obscure and confused."

So there was a flood. Let's just agree on that. Otherwise, where did
the deposits come from? What the heck were all the Mesopotamian flood
accounts about? Why did the Sumerian King list mention a flood? What
flood was Ashurbanipal speaking about? What was Christ talking about
(Matt. 24:37-38, Luke 17:26-27)? What flood was the writer of Hebrews
referring to (Heb. 11:7)? What "ark" was Peter blathering about (1Pet.
3:20)? What "flood" (2Pet. 2:5)?

The scope was less than they taught us in Sunday school. All animal
life all across the globe didn't perish. All men didn't perish, only
those who were in the covenant line of descent. Oh, well. I can live
with that. What are you prepared to give up because you can't reconcile
all the details with what may appear to be logical to you? The bits and
pieces may be hard to fathom. We can only guess at the causes.

Dick Fischer
 <http://www.genesisproclaimed.org> www.genesisproclaimed.org