Re: mtDNA Eve and the determination of humanity

From: jack syme <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 06:21:47 EST

In 2005 Hugh Ross and Fuzz Rana of the Reasons to Believe Ministry presented
their model for the origin of humanity. In November it was published in a
book titled "Who was Adam"
http://www.reasons.org/shop/customer/product.php?productid=690&cat=1

Hugh Ross's goal is to develop a testable model of creation. He is a
"day-age" creationist, or progressive creationist. He believes that the
days in Genesis are long periods of time, ages, and that each species,
especially homo sapiens, are specially created by God at the appropriate
time.

So the RTB (reasons to believe model) model for human origin, is that Adam
(they believe in a literal Adam) was specially created by God roughly
100,000 years ago. And that Adam and his ancestors then went forth and
multiplied and displaced the archaic homo species that were in existence at
the time. So homo neanderthalis, homo erectus, and homo florensis, were not
human, only modern human.

And he uses a lot of scientific data to support this hypothesis. Some of it
anthropological, and claims that there is evidence for an "explosive" change
in human behavior, technology, culture about this time. And he also refers
to genetic data, mostly mitochondrial DNA s tudies. And he has chosen
sides on one of the big debates in the anthropoligical scientific
literature, he has chosen the Out of Africa (OOA) model over the multi
regional hypothesis (MRH). The OOA theory is the "mitochondrial Eve"
theory, that all humans can be traced back to one woman that lived in Africa
about 100,000 years ago.

But this theory is much debated in the scientific literature. What Terry is
saying is that it is too soon to make the claim that the recent data from
Templeton is the end of that scientific debate.

I am saying that the Templeton data, even if it doesnt end the OOA MRH
debate, does disprove the RTB model because this model requires genetic
distinction between modern humans, and all other homo species. But the
Templeton data refutes this because it shows evidence of genetic linkage
between modern humans, and species from 1.5 milllion years ago, most likely
homo erectus. So either Ross needs to address this new data and alter his
model, or he will just ignore it and will be another of the many apologists
that are selective in the data that they put forth to prove their model.