Re: Chicken, archosaur... same difference

From: Pim van Meurs <pimvanmeurs@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 12:20:39 EST

Nah, it's cool because once again scientific research helps us understand the evolutionary past of birds

Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net> wrote: At 11:27 PM 2/22/2006, Pim van Meurs wrote:

 .... This is fascinating research.

 ### Sure is ...for these reasons:

 Prospects for tooth regeneration in the 21st century: a perspective.
     Chai Y, Slavkin HC.

   School of Dentistry, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90089-0641, USA.

   The prospects for tooth regeneration in the 21st century are compelling. Using the foundations of experimental embryology, developmental and molecular biology, the principles of biomimetics (the mimicking of biological processes), tooth regeneration is becoming a realistic possibility within the next few decades. The cellular, molecular, and developmental "rules" for tooth morphogenesis are rapidly being discovered. The knowledge gained from adult stem cell biology, especially associated with dentin, cartilage, and bone tissue regeneration, provides additional opportunities for eventual tooth organogenesis. The centuries of tooth development using xenotransplantation, allotransplantation, and autotransplantation have resulted in many important insights that can enhance tooth regeneration. In considering the future, several lines of evidence need to be considered: (1) enamel organ epithelia and dental papilla mesenchyme tissues contain stem cells during postnatal stages of
 life;
 (2) late cap stage and bell stage tooth organs contain stem cells; (3) odontogenic adult stem cells respond to mechanical as well as chemical "signals"; (4) presumably adult bone marrow as well as dental pulp tissues contain "odontogenic" stem cells; and (5) epithelial-mesenchymal interactions are pre-requisite for tooth regeneration. The authors express "guarded enthusiasm," yet there should be little doubt that adult stem cell-mediated tooth regeneration will be realized in the not too distant future. The prospects for tooth regeneration could be realized in the next few decades and could be rapidly utilized to improve the quality of human life in many nations around the world. Copyright 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

  Microsc Res Tech. 2003 Apr 1;60(5):469-79. Related Articles, Links
 Full text available on line: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12619122&dopt=Abstract
 *Nternational & American Association For Dental Research
 April 4, 2005 Growing Your Own Replacement Teeth? Not Science Fiction!

 Baltimore, Maryland -- Dental medicine is on the brink of profound change due, in large measure, to unprecedented advances in science and technology. Advances in stem cell biology will improve our understanding of degenerative diseases and assist in developing therapies for replacing damaged or diseased parts/tissues.

 During the 83rd General Session of the International Association for Dental Research, convening today at the Baltimore Convention Center, several research groups are reporting on dramatic progress in the use of various techniques--including genetic mutations, post-natal dental stem cells, and tooth tissue engineering--to facilitate replacement tooth therapy development in humans.

 Researchers from the Forsyth Institute (Boston, MA) and the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio will describe successful experiments in bioengineering mineralized tissues, including periodontal tissues and replacement tooth phenotypes. This research is supported by the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, one of the National Institutes of Health (Bethesda, MD).

 Editor's Note: The original news release can be found here. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050326005656.htm

 ~ Janice

   At 01:46 PM 2/22/2006, Pim van Meurs wrote:

>PZ Myers has presented another one of his usual breath taking

>articles, this time on the bird/alligator link...

   ### Yeah. I commented on that here a little

   earlier: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1583541/posts?page=52#52

   ~ Janice