RE: The death of the RTB model

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 10:05:30 EST

--- Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net> wrote:

(Quoting Glenn)
> And as far as I can see, we lose any reason to think the flood is much
> more than a normal river flood in which a stupid guy went hundreds of
> miles north rather than east or west for a much shorter stay on the
> waters.

I share your skepticism about poling the ark (although Dick's model has the
size of the flood exaggerated, so why not the ark too?). However, remember
when the Mississippi flooded in the early 90's? The flood seemed to last for
months, and it was reported that at some points the river was 8 miles wide.
Assuming the ark had 20 ft of free board and Noah was 6 ft tall, I calculate
that the horizon would have been about 6.3 miles distant. So a flood that
spread out more than about 12.5 miles would have put Noah out of sight of land
(probably it wouldn't have had to spread that wide with the rain reducing
visibility. In any case Noah probably kept the ark "buttoned up" most of the
time -- remember they didn't have glass) So it's plausible that he could have
been out of sight of land for maybe several months. Problems remaining:
1. Poling the ark upriver to "the mountains of Ararat" (+ the current would
tend to take the ark into the Persian Gulf)
2. Is the Tigris valley wide enough that a flood could broaden the Tigris to
~12.5 miles?

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.