Re: Chicken, archosaur... same difference

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 09:16:25 EST

At 11:27 PM 2/22/2006, Pim van Meurs wrote:

>.... This is fascinating research.

### Sure is ...for these reasons:

Prospects for tooth regeneration in the 21st century: a perspective.
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=Search&itool=PubMed_Abstract&term=%22Chai+Y%22%5BAuthor%5D>Chai
Y,
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=Search&itool=PubMed_Abstract&term=%22Slavkin+HC%22%5BAuthor%5D>Slavkin
HC.
School of Dentistry, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
90089-0641, USA.
The prospects for tooth regeneration in the 21st century are
compelling. Using the foundations of experimental embryology,
developmental and molecular biology, the principles of biomimetics
(the mimicking of biological processes), tooth regeneration is
becoming a realistic possibility within the next few decades. The
cellular, molecular, and developmental "rules" for tooth
morphogenesis are rapidly being discovered. The knowledge gained from
adult stem cell biology, especially associated with dentin,
cartilage, and bone tissue regeneration, provides additional
opportunities for eventual tooth organogenesis. The centuries of
tooth development using xenotransplantation, allotransplantation, and
autotransplantation have resulted in many important insights that can
enhance tooth regeneration. In considering the future, several lines
of evidence need to be considered: (1) enamel organ epithelia and
dental papilla mesenchyme tissues contain stem cells during postnatal
stages of life; (2) late cap stage and bell stage tooth organs
contain stem cells; (3) odontogenic adult stem cells respond to
mechanical as well as chemical "signals"; (4) presumably adult bone
marrow as well as dental pulp tissues contain "odontogenic" stem
cells; and (5) epithelial-mesenchymal interactions are pre-requisite
for tooth regeneration. The authors express "guarded enthusiasm," yet
there should be little doubt that adult stem cell-mediated tooth
regeneration will be realized in the not too distant future. The
prospects for tooth regeneration could be realized in the next few
decades and could be rapidly utilized to improve the quality of human
life in many nations around the world. Copyright 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

Microsc Res Tech. 2003 Apr 1;60(5):469-79.
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Display&dopt=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=12619122>Related
Articles, Links
Full text available on
line:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12619122&dopt=Abstract
*<http://www.dentalresearch.org/>Nternational & American Association
For Dental Research
April 4, 2005 Growing Your Own Replacement Teeth? Not Science Fiction!

Baltimore, Maryland --
<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050326005656.htm#>Dental
medicine is on the brink of profound change due, in large measure, to
unprecedented advances in
<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050326005656.htm#>science
and technology. Advances in stem
<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050326005656.htm#>cell
biology will improve our understanding of degenerative diseases and
assist in developing therapies for replacing damaged or diseased parts/tissues.

During the 83rd General Session of the International Association for
Dental Research, convening today at the Baltimore Convention Center,
several research groups are reporting on dramatic progress in the use
of various techniques--including
<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050326005656.htm#>genetic
mutations, post-natal dental stem cells, and tooth tissue
engineering--to facilitate replacement tooth therapy development in humans.

Researchers from the Forsyth Institute (Boston, MA) and the
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio will
describe successful experiments in bioengineering mineralized
tissues, including periodontal tissues and replacement tooth
phenotypes. This research is supported by the National Institute of
Dental and Craniofacial Research, one of the National Institutes of
<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050326005656.htm#>Health
(Bethesda, MD).

Editor's Note: The original news release can be found
<http://www.dentalresearch.org/media/releases/Baltimore/Release-1.pdf>here.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050326005656.htm

~ Janice