RE: The death of the RTB model

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 00:32:00 EST

Hi Glenn:

Dick wrote:

>>That's all it was - a big flood covering about 300 miles. Big enough
to wipe out the Accadians, not big enough to terminate the Sumerians, no
impact on the Egyptians. No need to look for some geological event.
All the central cities along the Euphrates River showed riverine flood
deposits dated to roughly 2900 BC. Ninevah to the north had a flood
dated much earlier, but Ninevah had no Adamite generations until Asshur
discovered it after the flood. <<<

Then this is a whole lot of hullabaloo about a normal river flood. Wow.
Nothing particularly noteworthy about that.

Nothing noteworthy about Hurricane Katrina unless you happened to live
in New Orleans.

>>Who thinks the Turkish border is in play? The hills of Armenia
("mountains of Ararat") had no border.<<

Doesn't matter, you still have to expend a lot of energy pushing the
boats uphill against the current. 8 humans couldn't do that, and why
didn't they go east or west and get out of the flood in about a distance
of 5 miles? Noah sure was dumb to pole that boat several hundred miles
north when poling it only 2-3 miles east or west would have gotten him
out of the water sooner.

Boats are poled up the Tigris to this day. I don't know how far north
they go though. I'll try to find out.

>>>The eleventh tablet of Gilgamesh mentions putting punting holes in
the boat when Utnapishtim built it. And punting up and down the canal
network and rivers is still carried out in Iraq to this day. <<<

So, let me get this straight. Noah was using the canals, which were not
much more filled with water than they normally were? Was he delusional
about there actually being a flood? The boats of today are not very big
and easy to push around with poles. So if that was the kind of boat noah
had, did he only have his trusty dog and a pig along with the family for
a ride?

Don't chide me. I didn't write it. I'm just trying to make some
logical sense out of it. All the other flood stories have a week-long
flood. A flood stretched out over two rainy seasons might have lasted a
year. He may have drifted in the Persian Gulf in between. Then maybe
he punted up the Tigris and washed out during the next downpour. When I
get to heaven it's going to be the second question I ask.

I have never argued against there being a connection between the
stories. I do tend to reject always treating the Babylonian texts as if
they are the real authoritative source. If they are, we should go
worship the gods of Babylon rather than this johnnycomelately Jehovah.

The Accadian and Sumerian texts were written first. Doesn't make them
more authoritative. Besides I believe the Accadians worshipped a trio
of gods at the beginning just as we do in the Trinity. They became
polytheistic due to Sumerian influence. God terminated them and
monotheism prevailed until the New Testament.

>>>All of Genesis 1-11 fits nicely into this historical timeframe. The
only reason to deny it is because we would prefer to think that all
humanity is included here. It isn't.<<<

Sure, we can do all that but if we do, we reject what others here have
noted, that the Bible does teach us that Adam was the progenitor of
mankind.

We've presumed it. Remember, you are reading a Jewish diary. They
didn't know where the rest of us came from and didn't seem to care. Why
do you think Paul had such a difficult time convincing Peter that
gentiles were worth saving?

And as far as I can see, we lose any reason to think the flood is much
more than a normal river flood in which a stupid guy went hundreds of
miles north rather than east or west for a much shorter stay on the
waters.

A bit of an imbiber maybe, but "stupid," I don't think so. The name
"Atrahasis" means "exceeding wise." The legend of Adapa (who I think is
Adam) calls him the "Atrahasis of the Anunaki." The Anunaki gods appear
to be what we call angels today. And as far as I can tell only these
two were called that. So history gives these two special respect, just
as Genesis does. This is part of the legend of Adapa:

In those days, in those years, the sage, the man of Eridu,
            Ea, made him like a (riddi) among men;
            A sage, whose command no one could oppose;
            The mighty one, the Atra-hasis of the Anunaki, is he;
            Blameless, clean of hands, anointer, observer of laws.
            With the bakers, he does the baking;
            With the bakers of Eridu, he does the baking.

Don't you just love it? Wouldn't you like to be a "riddi"? Maybe
that's an early form of "rabbi."

Dick Fischer
 <http://www.genesisproclaimed.org> www.genesisproclaimed.org