Re: Washington Post Magazine article on ID

From: Pim van Meurs <pimvanmeurs@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 12:28:26 EST

If the article is accurate then seeing what ID activist teach children makes me shudder.

Crocker about Kettlewel

"This comes from your book -- it is not actually true," Crocker said. "The experiment was falsified. He glued his moths to the trees.""

Two wrong statements in as many phrases. 1) the experiments were not falsified 2) Kettlewel did not glue moths to trees.

Or eugenics and Nazism

"From this ill-conceived theory, she concluded, much harm had arisen. Nazi Germany had taken Darwin's ideas about natural selection, the credo that only the fittest survive, and followed it to its extreme conclusions -- anti-Semitism, eugenics and death camps."

On methodological naturalism

""Right now, in our society, we have an underlying philosophy of naturalism, that there is a material explanation for everything," Crocker replied. "Evolution came with that philosophy.""

Do people really believe this? Then it's time for us Christians and scientists to clear up these many confusions. Peoplae like Keith B Miller have done some good work in this area but the word has to get out to the faithful.

Augustine

'Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and this knowledge he hold to as being certain from reason and experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture are
 criticized and rejected as unlearned men. If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages are full of falsehoods and on facts which they themselves have learnt from experience and the light of reason? Reckless and incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they think support their position, although they understand neither what they say n
 or the
 things about which they make assertion. [1 Timothy 1.7]"

Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu> wrote: The Washington Post Magazine (Feb 5) has published the best overall article
on ID that I have seen, in terms of its breadth of coverage, accuracy, and
balance. Here is the URL:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/03/AR2006020300822.html

Ted