Re: Get out the vote

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 16:58:03 EST

At 03:42 PM 2/20/2006, Carol or John Burgeson wrote:

>I rec'd the following "view with alarm" email today:
>
>"I am requesting that you collect as many church
>directories as you can and send them to me in an
>effort to fully register, educate and energize
>North Carolina's congregations to vote in the 2006 elections."
>
>--Chris Mears, the political director for the
>North Carolina Republican Party, requesting
>church directories for voter identification in a
>Feb. 15 memo titled "The pew and the ballot box"
>that was sent by e-mail to "Registered Republicans in North Carolina."

>Frankly, I don't see this as a "view with alarm"
>call. If it were the Democratic Party, or the
>Libertarian, or the "You Name It" Party, I still
>see it as quite within the bounds of political
>activism. But I could be wrong. Comments? - Burgy

### By their own admission, barely 20% of MSM
journalists have ever voted Republican. The
stats: http://secure.mediaresearch.org/news/MediaBiasBasics.html

Let me know if you have any examples of the
hypocrites at the Washington Post,
et.al., beating the "alarm" drum when their own
candidates - who have for many, many years -
actually hold political rallies inside churches
and give campaign speeches as "sermons" during
Sunday "worship" services. For instance:

October 2004
Republicans, Democrats Target Churches For
Partisan Politics, As Election ’04 Nears The End - by Rob Boston
http://www.au.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=6953&abbr=cs_

"...Democrats have been busy courting religious
voters as well sometimes taking their message straight into the pulpit.

At New Birth Baptist Church in Miami Aug. 29,
Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry
McAuliffe didn’t hesitate to tell the people
sitting in the pews exactly what he wanted them
to do. .... Although it took place during the
time when the church normally would have been
holding a worship service, the event had little
to do with religion and a lot to do with
politics. Flanked by local Democratic
office-holders, McAuliffe pleaded for support in
a state that could be crucial to the outcome of November’s election.

Former Democratic presidential candidate Al
Sharpton also spoke, telling church members,
“Didn’t nobody give us the right to vote. People
lost their lives. We can’t sit here 40 years
later and let somebody buy the vote, somebody
hustle the vote, pimp the vote. ..." Also
attending were U.S. Rep. Kendrick Meek (D-Fla.),
state Sen. Frederica Wilson and state Sen. M. Mandy Dawson, both Democrats.

The partisan nature of the event did not escape
the notice of the media. The South Florida
Sun-Sentinel noted that the church’s pastor,
Bishop Victor T. Curry, “made no apologies for
turning his Sunday service into a political rally….”

The event also caught the attention of Americans
United. In an Aug. 31 letter to the Internal
Revenue Service, AU Executive Director Barry W.
Lynn -- [ See: The Religious Left - who they are
and what they believe:
http://www.freerepublic.com/~matchettpi/ ] --
requested a prompt investigation of the matter.

“This event seems to have gone beyond legitimate
voter education about issues,” observed Lynn.
“Rather, the event was partisan in its approach
and included only Democrats. It promoted
Democratic candidates while disparaging
Republicans. I believe this event constitutes
intervention in a political campaign on behalf of
a candidate in clear violation of federal tax
law. I urge you to take appropriate action to correct this abuse of the law.”

The events at the GOP convention and at New Birth
Baptist are only two examples of the
extraordinary amount of religiously charged
politics that has surfaced in this election year.
Chances are, they won’t be the last.

Both sides are aggressively pursuing religious
voters. ...Weary of being bashed over the issue
of religion, Democrats this year are fighting
back, scheduling a “People of Faith” luncheon
during the Democratic convention that included
representatives from Christianity, Islam and Judaism.

But the Democratic outreach doesn’t end there.
Party nominee U.S. Sen. John F. Kerry and his
running mate, U.S. Sen. John Edwards, have also
been appearing frequently in sympathetic churches.

Such overt church-based politicking, however, has
its drawbacks. For starters, houses of worship,
as tax-exempt bodies, aren’t permitted to
intervene in partisan campaigns or endorse
candidates. They certainly aren’t permitted to
host party rallies. Partisan politicking in
church puts a house of worship’s tax exemption at risk.

Churches may register people to vote, and
religious leaders may discuss issues, but overt
endorsements or even indirect ones can land a
church in trouble with the IRS. ....

Religion also played a prominent role at both
party conventions. The Democrats featured a
message from the Rev. James A. Forbes Jr., pastor
of the large, interdenominational Riverside Church in New York City.

A few weeks later, former president Bill Clinton
appeared in Forbes’ pulpit to deliver a Sunday
sermon. Clinton never directly endorsed Kerry,
but he slammed the Republicans ...Asserted
Clinton, “Politics dictated by faith is not the
exclusive province of the right-wing.” ....

~ Janice