Re: Believe it even if it isn't true theology

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 16:22:12 EST

Peter,

Much of what you say is to do with "long periods = days" - I was arguing
specifically against a literal 6-day 144 hour creation (the vicar in my
church has rashly invited a Young Earth Creationist to come and speak to the
church).

But I can't understand why you say the sun was already created by the second
day, and that it wasn't created on the fourth day. Again, literal reading
of the text says:

Gen 2:16: God MADE two great lights, the greater light to govern the day
and the lesser light to govern the night. He also MADE the stars.

This all happened, according to a literal reading of the text, on the fourth
day. So I can't really see how you can say from a literal reading of the
text that they weren't created on the fourth day. I'm pretty certain YEC's
say the sun was created on Day 4.

Incidentally, I raised this point about Day 1 and Day 4 with someone at
church who says that the Jehovah's witnesses come up with this explanation
of cloud-cover being broken to reveal the already created sun..

Iain

--
- Italian Proverb